Professor Bagchi and his students are engaged in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) modeling and simulation in the broad area of micro- and nano-fluidics, bio-fluid mechanics, multi-scale problems in fluid mechanics and biological flows, multiphase flows, particulate flows, interfacial flow, turbulent and complex flows, and rheology. The research is highly multidisciplinary in nature, and lies at the interface of transport phenomena, computational science, biomedical science, and physics. We develop our own computer models using state-of-the-art methodologies, and perform large-scale simulation and analysis on multiprocessor supercomputers to understand/discover new physical mechanisms underlying various complex biological phenomena at micro- and nano-scales. Examples of current research projects are:
(1) Microhydrodynamics of blood cells, capsules and vesicles,
(2) Cellular interactions in physiological and microfluidic scenario,
(3) Dynamics and rheology of cellular and deformable particulate suspension,
(4) Drug dispersion in blood,
(5) Multiscale modeling of active cellular motion.
- “Vesicle dynamics in shear flow”. Alireza Yazdani and P. Bagchi. Submitted to Journal of Fluid Mechanics (Nov 8, 2011).
- “Rheology of a dense suspension of capsules”. R. Murthy Kalluri and P. Bagchi. Submitted to Journal of Fluid Mechanics ( Sept 12, 2011).
- “Comparison of particle dispersion patterns in turbulent jest and plumes using direct numerical simulations and acoustic observations”. K. Bemis, P. Bagchi, K. Kottam, and P. Rona. Submitted to Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (2011).
- “Phase diagram and breathing dynamics of a single red blood cell and a biconcave capsule in dilute shear flow”. Alireza Z.K. Yazdaniand P. Bagchi. Physical Review E 84, 026314 (2011).
- “Dynamics of microcapsules in oscillating shear flow”. Mengye Zhao, and P. Bagchi. Physics of Fluids, 23, 111901 (2011).
- “Tank-treading and tumbling frequencies of capsules and red blood cells”. Alireza Z.K. Yazdani, R.M. Kalluri, and P. Bagchi. Physical Review E 83, 046305 (2011).
- “Dynamic rheology of a dilute suspension of elastic capsules: effect of capsule tank-treading, swinging, and tumbling.” P. Bagchi, and R.M. Kalluri. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 669, 498 (2011).
- “Rheology of a dilute suspension of liquid-filled elastic capsules.” P. Bagchi, and R.M. Kalluri. Physical Review E 81, 056320 (2010).
- “Front-tracking methods for capsules, vesicles, and blood cells”. P. Bagchi. In Computational Hydrodynamics of Capsules and Biological Cells, Eds. C. Pozrikidis. Chapman & Hall/CRC (2010).
- “Multiscale modeling in large-scale simulation of blood flow in microcirculation”. P. Bagchi. In Multiscale Modeling of Particle Interactions: Applications in Biology and Nanotechnology. Eds. M.R. King, and D.J. Gee. Wiley. (2010).